Yes Belly Fat (abdominal obesity) can be broken down into many categories.
In this article we are going to compare general obesity to abdominal obesity.
Abdominal obesity (belly fat) is obesity that is found in the central areas of the body (belly). Abdominal obesity is known as the apple shape. In this type of obesity fat is found above the waistline. Abdominal obesity is often compared to “pear shaped” obesity in which someone carries their extra weight in the hips and buttocks.
Abdominal obesity is often more dangerous for men then general obesity or “pear shaped” obesity.
How is abdominal obesity measured?
Body metabolic index: (BMI) is the way people’s body fat are categories. It takes into account your weight and height.
Underweight: BMI less than 18.5
Normal weight: BMI of 18.5-24.9
Overweight: BMI of 25-30
Obesity: BMI of 30-35
Morbidly Obesity: BMI greater than 35.
- BMI can be misleading if you are muscular*
Waist circumference is also used to evaluate someone for abdominal obesity. In men a waist circumference of greater than 40inches is considered obese. Women would be a 35 inches.
What leads to abdominal obesity?
- Disease Processes: (hypothyroidism, diabetes, and Cushing syndrome).
- Poor Diet
- Lack of exercise
How can Abdominal Obesity lead to Premature Death?
Abdominal obesity leads to a increase in premature death.
Abdominal obesity leads to increase in heart disease, diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Heart Disease: In a recent study in the European Society of Cardiology, Dr. Mohammadi concluded: “Abdominal obesity not only increases your risk for a first heart attack or stroke, but also the risk for recurrent events after the first misfortune. Maintaining a healthy waist circumference is important for preventing future heart attacks and strokes regardless of how many drugs you may be taking or how healthy your blood tests are”.
- Diabetes: In an article published in the I International Journal of Clinical Practice, it showed that there is a strong link between abdominal obesity and type diabetes. They concluded that reducing waist circumference may prevent type 2 Diabetes.
- Hypertension: In an article published in The African Journal of Primary Health Care & Family Medicine showed , “The prevalence of stage 1 and stage 2 hypertension was 23.5% and 20.5%, respectively, while the prevalence of pre-hypertension was 40.8%”
Men and women with the largest waists (more than 40 inches for men and 35 inches for women) had roughly double the risk of premature death as men and women with the smallest waists (less than 34 inches for men and 28 for women).
Each 2-inch increase in waist circumference was associated with close to a 17% increase in mortality in men and a 13% increase in women.
Waist-to-hip ratio also strongly predicted mortality.
Boyles WebMed 2008
I hate to post some many article topic, but I want to show you that the numbers support my claim. “Abdominal obesity leads to premature death”.
What can be done about your abdominal obesity?
One of the most effective ways to lose abdominal weight is to lose weight in general. There are a lot of plans out there that states you can lose weight in a specific area, that is not true.
Losing weight is a simple process it’s just tough to stay motivated. Remember take less calories in and exercise.
I tried Intermittent Fasting and was able to lose 20 lbs in 2 months. CLICK HERE.
You do not have to consult Man of Health as your health coach in order to lose weight but discuss it with someone.
Remember that remaining active helps burns calories. The way to lose weight is to be in a calorie deficit. Exercising burns calories. Man of Health has a few workout plans for $10. These plans are downloadable.
Click here to purchase a Man of Health Workout Plan
If a plan is not right for you email me and I will craft one specifically with you in mind. Trust me your budget won’t stop you from getting this plan from me.
If you do not decide to get a plan from Man of Health just get active. You should aim to be active at least 150 minutes a week (30 minutes 5x a week). Find an activity that you love to do and have fun.
Remember abdominal obesity can be avoided and corrected let us guide you on your journey to become a Man of Health.