What would you do if I told you almost every millionaire attributes a lot of their success to having a routine.
What if I told you Warren Buffett the 6th Richest man in the world has a routine he has followed for years. In this post we’re going to discuss the power of having a routine and how it can help you unlock your true potential.
When it comes to having a routine it not only helps you become successful, but it also helps you become healthier.
A routine can have health benefits by:
- Decreasing stress level: knowing how your day will go decreases anxiety and stress.
- Better sleep: set a nightly sleep routine and bedtime..
- Allowing dedicated exercise times: A routine allows you to schedule in exercise time.
A daily routine leads to success because it maximizes every minute of your day. Unsuccessful people go through their day without any plan of how their day should go. Yes they know what their going to do, but have no idea on how to get it done.
When you set a routine you make your life more predictable and more focused.
A routine allows for you to prioritize things that are important to you. We’re not saying be so focused on your routine that it stresses you out. We’re saying have a list of things you do everyday. You have to have an agenda. We believe when you set a list of things to get done everyday, you are programming your brain to be a task completer.
We also believe having a routine sets parameters on how people use your time. If people know you take lunch between 1-2, and you only take phone calls between 2-3 they will fall in line with your routine. Most people respect time parameters, and setting a routine establishes those parameters.
I know you may be thinking, “Ok I know I need a routine, but what should I include in my daily routine.” To be honest this is hard to say because it depends on your own personal life and daily goals, but we can help you get started.
Here is a list of 10 habits you need to implement into your daily routine.
- Wake up early: You should pre-plan your day. You should wake up early before your day officially begins, and plan it out. You should sit down and pre-plan the events of your day. Give yourself a to-do list.
- Digital Detox: For the first 30 minutes of your day do not look at your phone, computer, or television. Take 30 minutes when you first wake up and don’t touch anything digital. Reboot your mind from your electronics.
- Workout: Get a morning workout in. This doesn’t have to be anything intense, but get the body moving. The physical exercise will wake up your body and get you started on your day. Think about the head start you will have if you’ve worked out for 30 min-1 hour compared to the guy just rolling out of the bed.
- Eat a healthy breakfast: After your workout, eat a healthy breakfast. We want to recommend 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fats. More protein will prevent you from feeling groggy after eating. Refueling the body is vital in being successful for the rest of your day.
- Meditate: Calm the body and mind after your workout. This will refocus and relax the mind and body after working out. Take this time to be grateful for life and just relax. Do this for about 10 minutes while showering post workout.
- Goal setting: You should have goals set for your day. Do not be a life zombie. A life zombie is someone who just goes through life with no goals. You should go through your day thinking, “How can I achieve my goals for today?”.
- Journal entries throughout the day: Write down interesting things that happen throughout your day. You can write down anything. Keeping a journal allows you to self reflect at the end of your day. We also want you to write down 3 things your grateful for each day in your journal.
- Read: Take time to read something directed toward your goals everyday. If your in the medical field read medical journals. If your an investor read financial reports, but you should read everyday.
- Motivational content: While driving your radio should only be playing motivational content. Stay motivated as you work on your goals and dreams.
- Have a bedtime routine: Once it’s time to unwind, have a routine you follow every night. If you light candles and drink a glass of wind every night before bed make it a routine.
If you create a powerful routine you will become more successful. So sit down and create a routine you can follow everyday.